Wednesday, March 17, 2010

OH GOODNESS


You did this to me. Your blogs inspired me to buy a sewing machine.  Well, I have owned a sewing machine for 24 years but it was never used and does not work. My parents gave it to me on my 12th birthday.  I have no idea why I never used it but I am sure it crushed them. Oh goodness, I wish I could go and take back all those self-absorbed teen moments. 

They bought it for me because my mother is an amazing seamstress and I was following in her footsteps.  I loved my sewing class in school and took up just about every needle craft known to man.  Then the teenage years hit and I was too cool for homemade arts and crafts.  I lost a small part of myself.  Have you ever done that? There is something you love that you don't do (for whatever reason) and you find yourself longing for that part of you to be riled from its slumber? 

It reminds me of a recent conversation with a friend who loves music.  She wants to take piano lessons. Apparently she played several instruments as a child and wants to get back to experiencing that joy of making music. I knew she was a music lover but I never knew she was a musician.  What a huge part to have buried away.  That part needs to be expressed.

So, here I go.  I will chronicle my craziness here - a Single Sewer!  Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany,
    I think it is great you bought a sewing machine! And I know you will love re-discovering your hidden talent.
    My mom was an amazing seamstress too. She taught me how to sew, and I have done it off and on throughout the years. But with her passing, I long to sew even more. I feel like it is my "mom" in me. And it helps me feel connected to her. :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving such a sweet comment today. It blessed my heart!
    Be sure to show me what you sew with that machine!
    Traci

    ReplyDelete