Friday, January 14, 2011

Redecorating

As I shared earlier, I have some redecorating to do this Spring.  My roommate moves out (sniff, sniff) in late February.  This leaves me two open bedrooms.  I live in a small house - 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom.  It is a 1950s brick ranch.  A long, long time ago I said to myself, "I love brick ranches. If I ever have a house, that's what I would want."  I didn't share that with anyone.

Several years later, my house came on the market and a friend said, "You should look at this house, it looks like you."  She was right. It was exactly what I always wanted in my mind.  The Lord remembered and the way He eased that house into my life could have only been from Him. I'm still shocked to think I have owned a home for close to 6 years.

I didn't do too much to it when I moved in. I wanted to sit in it. Frankly, I was scared to death to do anything. I was afraid I'd mess something up. I also was afraid I wouldn't have enough money to fix big things one day if I spent a cent on decorating.  Finally, last Fall, I realized that I was living in someone else's house. It didn't look like me. It didn't feel like me.  I had hand me down furniture and wall colors from the previous owner. The time had come.  It took about 3 months but I redecorated the living room, dining room and kitchen.  The kitchen still needs a backsplash but the rest is done. I have LOVED it.  LOVED IT!

Now, my roommate is moving out.  I have two more rooms to claim and make my own.  I'm scared, again.  Scared of spending the money. Scared of making a mistake.  Scared of living alone.  Still, I am moving forward. My goal is to buy all second hand furniture and to use my network on this one. 

Here's my broad idea.  I am scouting pictures but I have thoughts in my mind. I'll share more as I go along here.  One room is going to be a guest bedroom with twin beds. I see lush, sinkable beds on either side of a dresser loaded with guest amenities...lush towels, water jars with glasses, flowers, magazines, and of course delectable snacks. I want my guests to read and snack in bed. I want my place to be a get away. Come, rest, and be refreshed when you leave.  Hopefully luggage racks will fit at the foot of the beds. 

I bought gorgeous mid-century twin headboards from a woman on Craigslist. CHEAP!  I love Craigslist.  I will buy the mattresses new because used mattresses gross me out.  I may make the bedding on my handy dandy sewing machine. We'll see.  I want delicious, meltable beds.  Oh yes, you can crank down the air to snuggle in at my house.  I'm on budget billing ; )

The other room will be a study/craft room.  I will share more about that later.  It is coming into focus in my mind and I love it. It's my retreat.  It's the place where I can study, read, write, and be creative.  It's the room I have always wanted!  More to come!

Sorry there aren't more pictures here...I have too much work to catch up on after 4 snow days!  Love to all.  If you have any cute ideas...post links. I'm open to inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment